Tuesday, July 9, 2013

#2 Technology Tool: Assignment Calendar

An assignment calendar is an excellent tool for communicating with students and parents what we're learning in class.  It will help when students are trying to stay organized and keep up with due dates.  It will aid students who have been absent or are trying to get caught up on late/missing work.  It's also a communication tool with parents.  When I get more proficient I would like to be able to  have students download assignments and have hyperlinks to course materials or resources.  I'm a novice with technology so an assignment calendar is a great technology for me.  Next year, I will have to learn Synergy for attendance and grading, so it will be a lot for me to learn.  In the past, assignment calendars were found on accessed by going to the school website and then finding a link to teacher websites.  An assignment calendar doesn't need any additional vocabulary.  I've had parents ask me to enter assignments into eSIS before they were due or even graded so that they could keep their students on track.  The problem was that other students and parents would not read due dates or remember what we were learning and get upset.  By briefly recording what we did and what is due on an assignment calendar, I will have an effective communication tool for students and parents.

1 comment:

  1. Ah, the joys and challenges of online gradebooks. Hope you can find a system that works well for you (and your students/their parents!).

    ReplyDelete